Gingerbread is the only national charity dedicated to working with and for single parent families in England & Wales. We have been at the forefront of shaping policy and services that support single parents for more than a century.
There are around two million single parent families in the country which means that approximately one in four families are headed by a single parent. We champion their voices and keep their needs at the heart of everything we do.
Our vision is of a world where diverse families can thrive. Our mission is to champion and enable single parent families to live secure, happy, and fulfilling lives.
Stability for single parents: To minimise any negative impact on the parent and children’s wellbeing and poverty
Families can thrive: To maximise choices and opportunities for single parents and their children to flourish
Families are valued: To build acceptance and celebration of diverse families in wider society
We work to challenge the isolation, loneliness and stigma that single parents face.
Peer Support Services
- 50 active groups around England & Wales
- A space for parents to make friends, share, build community and feel less alone
- Led by single parent Group Coordinators, trained and supported by Gingerbread.
- A thriving online community with 17k plus members
- A safe space for single parents to connect online, chat, and share tips from their own experience
- Accessible and immediate support
Single Parent Helpline
We help more than 9,000 parents a year with specialist advice
- Confidential and accredited
- Free expert, specialised advice covering complex issues around:
- welfare benefits
- child maintenance
- family law
- money and debt
- moving in and out of work
- More than 800,000 people access our website annually
- Library of online information, tools and advice checkers & multi media
- Topics tailored to single parents needs
- Stories and news items from single parents.
- Trialling webchat