Folk Like Us provides free support and advice to people over the age of 65, living in the borough of Southend who are experiencing loneliness and isolation.
Folk Like Us aims to address:
- Older people in Southend feeling isolated because they can’t participate in local social or community activities. This could be due to poor health, lack of confidence, transport issues or just not knowing what’s available.
- Older people feeling disadvantaged because they can’t easily access information which could lead to an improved quality of life.
Benefits to members include:
- Having more confidence to access services and social groups.
- A decrease in isolation and loneliness.
- Improved access to information in a way that suits them.
- Learning new IT skills, e.g. using smartphones and the internet.
Anyone can drop into our Hubs whether they are a registered Folk Like Us member or just a member of the public seeking information.
Hubs are places that you can come to:
- Have a chat with the team
- Meet other people
- Learn about local services and support
- Get involved in one-off special days
Speak to us to find out more and how you can be involved!
We know that some older people are housebound through mobility or health conditions and are not able to visit the Hubs.
Our Team Leaders provide home visits to those who are unable to leave their house, ensuring that Folk Like Us support is accessible and inclusive to all.
Call us on 01702 356070 to book a visit.