Timebank South West is a registered charity based in Plymouth, Devon. Our aim is to reduce social isolation and loneliness by bringing people together and increase their sense of well-being by sharing their skills and time with others.
Timebanking is a different way people can volunteer their time and skills, it’s informal and flexible approach fits around people’s way of life so anyone can get involved as and when they can. The only currency is time so for every hour that someone gives they earn an hour in return to ask for something back that they want or need from any Timebank participant. For example, an hour of gardening is worth an hour of dog walking or art tuition or baking or IT support and so on.
We hold weekly socials in eight Plymouth neighbourhoods to bring people together and support safe exchanges of skills and time. The benefits of timebanking include:
- Creates new and positive ways for people to connect with others to make new friends
- People who take part feel healthier, happier and less isolated within their communities
- People become more confident and have improved self-esteem
- Everyone has opportunity to participate and benefit
- It can help people to save money as no money ever changes hands
- Provides opportunities for informal volunteering that could lead on to other things
- Timebanking reunites and strengthens communities, builds resilience, often
re-awakening a sense of pride and community spirit